Sunday, February 24, 2008

American movies and Indian food

The Oscars are coming up, and like the SuperBowl, I won't be watching this time around.

Once my dream to write and direct...
It's disappointing to say I've seen just one of this year's five Best Picture nominees.


In Korea, they make these nifty four sided 8x11-ish programs to help you determine what to watch upon arrival at the theater. Makes for a pretty good souvenir if you like the flick too. ^^

Apparently the subs were a tad off, as we were the only ones letting out a chuckle at moments like...

"You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."

Besides Juno (which I loved), I also recently saw Jumper, which got me thinking... If I had such superhuman powers, where's the first place I'd go?  My initial thoughts screamed "London." So cliche, eh.

Speaking of which... Indian food! Ok, that doesn't entirely deserve a "speaking of which," but when you say "London," Indian food definitely comes to my mind, and we were reunited last night! (Thank you, SJ.^^)


We went to a place in Apgujeong (압구정) called Ganga and it reminded me of the time we went to The Cinnamon Club in Westminster. The decor couldn't have been more different, and granted, both restaurants serve Indian food, but I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason... perhaps it was the company. Anyhoo, we had rice and garlic nan with vegetable shashlik and chicken makhani (pictured above).

Also checked out City Hall (시청), to find that the prettily lit ice rink seen last month had been taken down. Does this mean winter's ending?!


Here's what it looks like in the day...


Across the street stands Deoksugung (덕수궁) so we decided to check it out. It wasn't as beautiful as Changdeokgung (창덕궁), but it's still a trip to be in a royal palace, only to look out and see its walls surrounded by Citi and SK high rises. ^^


A chair fit for a king.


A relatively recent vice has got to be frequent trips to the coffeeshops! I think today was my first time alone in one (in Seoul), and I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. My sweet potato latte and I bonded over people watching and pensive thoughts.


I had intended to study there, but it turned into a one-man lyric-writing and doodling fest. ^^ Case in point - 

No comments: