Four Cabs in One Day and...
Two asked about my life history, but also included:
- Are you Korean?
- Why are you going to the Hilton?
- Wow, your English pronunciation is good! Can you say "Porsche" for me?
- If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
- What's your favorite Korean food?
- You look like you can drink (handle) your alcohol very well.
For the most part, it's quite fun when they're friendly, and I don't mind a good chat. But if you're not one of those "I want to talk to the taxi driver" types, here are a couple notes to increase your chances of a quiet ride to your destination:
- Do not answer telephone calls from English speaking acquaintances in cabs.
- If you must, fake the best Korean-English accent as possible.
- Note this isn't as effective if you don't look Korean.
- Do not pronounce English words such as "Hilton Hotel" with an American accent. Korean-ify it to the best of your ability.
Heard in Korea
I love it when friends value honesty. : )
"Hey, you know what one cab driver said to me today? He called me 'healthy looking.' But we were talking about food and in that specific context, I think it was more like 'You're chubby.' I am!"
"Yeah. You are!"
Yes folks - I know I'm due for a trip to the gym!