Saturday, November 08, 2008

Where NOT to go for soondubu: Tofu House in Palo Alto, CA



Don't believe the Yelpers! True, my soondubu standards have been raised since moving to Seoul, but there's just no excuse for going to So Gong Dong Tofu House (소공동 순두부) in Palo Alto, CA unless you're really desperate, i.e. starving Cast Away style, meaning you've been stuck on an island for weeks having nearly eaten a volleyball named Wilson. I can't believe it got FOUR stars on Yelp. I must have went on a bad night? A really bad night where the cooks forgot to come to work? Let's see shall we.

Unless you're a fan of eating glue, I suggest you not order the haemuljeon. They've yet to perfect the egg-flour-water ratio.



The banchan selection? Cheap and bland. I'll let the japchae photo speak for itself.



And in a restaurant named after its supposed specialty, well, you'd think they'd try a bit harder than overboiling last night's leftover veggies in hot water.



Needless to say, we were really hungry after dinner, and thankfully, Red Mango saved the day.



Although I like Korea's version of the yogurt better, you can't beat FRESH California fruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, completely agree, this place was crap. I love your desperation quote- "Cast away style," hilarious.