Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No birthday soup for me :(



My "officially one year away from hitting a quarter century" birthday passed a few weeks ago, and I totally forgot to make birthday soup (aka 미역국, seaweed soup) this time around. I must be getting old. ㅠㅠ I've been eating 미여국 on my birthday ever since I can remember, and attempting to make it for my mother since middle school. It's quite easy so if you've got a Korean friend, it wouldn't hurt to learn the recipe. ^^



To celebrate, my big sis took me to Flea St. Cafe, a charming little restaurant in Menlo Park known for their "local, seasonal, organic, sustainable and naturally delicious cuisine." Aside from the slightly awkward waiter who kept referring to my sister as "Madam," the food was excellent and the restaurant itself was adorable.


Rehydrated peaches on a bed of butter lettuce, served with fried cheese croûtons.


Pacific coast sole, dungeness crab, smoked salmon roulade with thyme butter sauce, bloomsdale spinach, caramelized red onion, and gingered carrots.


Pasture-raised chicken with parsnip, apple and leek hash, guanicale, rosemary zinfandel beurre blanc, with a poached egg.


Pumpkin bread pudding with vanilla sauce and cranberries


Cinnamon ice cream

Mmh.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I have my quarter-century birthday next week and it scares me a little. I'm glad you've gotten back to blogging! :D